Sunday, October 30, 2011
SHARE YOUR STORIES
Dear LOST IN LIVING Supporters and Followers:
As I was sitting at my computer watching scenes from the documentary and organizing the material into what will soon be a feature film, it occurred to me that many of you might have a lot to say about this subject of being a Mom and an Artist. My guess is that you too are feeling the challenges and struggles of trying to balance family commitment and personal work. What are the themes that you’d like to see in a film that focuses on this idea? I’d like to hear from you, what are your struggles and achievements as a mother and a parent, what are the stories you’d like to see represented in LOST IN LIVING? Maybe you’re not a mother or an artist but you know someone who is. Possibly your own mother, grandmother, sister, aunt or friend knows the conflict of competing compassions. I want to make a film that resonates with my supporters and audience. Your participation, your voice will help me understand what is important to you.
Below are a few questions to get you started but feel free to completely abandon them and share anything. Just email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) a response when you can or post your comments on this blog. I’m interested in how you feel about being a parent and how you achieve or don’t achieve the delicate balance between work and home.
Please feel free to be open and honest. I will not be using your specific responses or names in the film (except in the ending thank you credits). With your permission I would like to share some of your experiences on my blog or in another newsletter. I want to hear your personal stories so I can make a better film and a film you can personally relate to. Your help and participation will inspire me and give me direction for this very important issue.
• Why do you need to be creative?
• Do you feel pressure to provide an income for the family? How does that influence your creative life?
• What are the rewards and challenges of having more than one child? Or just one?
• How has being a parent changed your friendships?
• How has being a parent changed your creative expression or not?
• Do you carve out time to be creative? How?
• When asked what you do, what do you say?
• How has being a parent changed your relationship with your significant other?
• Describe your typical day.
• Does your significant other support your creative work? How?
• Do you feel satisfied with the recognition you are getting for your work?
• How did you feel about your creative output after children arrived?
• Were your parents creative? What was that like?
• Are you the parent you want to be?
Coming soon will be a youtube channel dedicated solely to LOST IN LIVING. On it will be very short clips from the film that you can comment on, respond to, start a conversation and share with your friends and family.
About the film:
LOST IN LIVING follows four remarkable women, all artists as well as mothers. Through intimate, verite scenes, and in-depth interviews, this film illuminates how the choice of being a mother can affect one’s art and approach to creativity. Further, the film explores parenting expectations and failures, issues of friendship and marriage, the monotony of domestic routines, and most importantly who we are in the world and how we all struggle with the balance of family commitment and personal work. www.maandpafilms.com/lostinliving/
Thank you for taking the time to share your personal stories and for your amazing support.
All the very best,
P.S. Please like the facebook page here if you haven't already and feel free to share with friends. Thank you!